Saturday, November 12, 2016

Light Versus Dark

I am terrified of the dark. I have always slept with some kind of light on, whether a night light or the television. Moreover, I always found space travel especially terrifying. How do the astronauts not get scared about being launched into the great unknown?

The sheer thought of other life out there is super concerning to me. How does one just, you know, accept that when they go to fix a space station or explore a planet? I guess not so much more since they dramatically cut the funding.

I don't think my fear actually has to do with the lack of light but more of what it represents. Having little-to-no idea of what I am doing, and having the freedom to do whatever my heart pleases, within reason obviously, is honestly terrifying, yet eye opening. If I have the freedom to do whatever, why am I not taking it? Is it because of my fear of the dark? It all just seems weird to me. 

But think of all the good things that happen in the dark; a bonfire with friends, fireworks, star gazing, concerts. As with anything you have to take the good with the bad, but why not take your fears and appreciate the good that comes with them.


Living your life in fear is no way to live. Hell, you are hardly living at all. I have had friends who canceled plans because they felt that going to the bar downtown wasn't safe. Even though Detroit now is not the same Detroit even 10 years ago. Sometimes, stepping out of your comfort zone is a good thing. 

I may be afraid of the dark for the rest of my life, but letting it stop me from experiencing fireworks or bonfires isn't the way I aspire to live. Life always goes on, and if you stop and dwell, it will pass you by. 

"I sometimes have a tendency to walk on the dark side" -J.K. Rowling 

No comments:

Post a Comment